Tuesday, June 17, 2008

MKG

(Non-knitters just skip over this one.)

So I went to Knitters's Guid tonight and lo, it was show-off-your-shawl-night. There were 50 shawls to look at, each one more beautiful than the last ... and we voted, which is kind of silly since so many were so wonderful, but how else are you going to decide who will go home with a prize?

Many tables like this, with all colors, all textures, all patterns of lacy designs represented.

I didn't vote for any of the winners, but what do I know? I've never knit a shawl before. I knit mostly socks. What I knit are akin to an armory whereas the shawl knitters are creating the Taj Mahal or the Sydney Opera House.


I loved the pattern on this one, although the color didn't come out at all in the picture:
And this one was a beautiful silk with my favorite colors in it, all variegated (again the colors aren't accurate but you get the idea):

And who wouldn't want to throw color like this over their shoulders on a cold and rainy day?


I worked on a plain knit sock during the meeting. Big surprise there. But I'm not going to belittle my work, no indeed, I'm going to listen to Franklin and remember that there are a lot more knitters than golfers in this country (probably in all the world) and we at least create beautiful and useful things...
...and one more thing...Susan Rainey, who organized tonight's Guild event, is asking for shawls to be donated to the hospital where she works. The shawls are given to people who have lost a baby. I couldn't watch the video. (Susan, you'll have to get over the fact that you didn't win that shawl pin, even though you did a very good thing tonight).

No comments: