Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Movies and Books and MKG

In my continued attempt to cease and desist with the political ranting, let me chat about movies and books and such ...

Although I am not particularly fond of the Coen brothers' very dark sense of humor, we went to see Burn After Reading last weekend. It was dark and quirky without being oppressive; I loved it. I also re-watched The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) which is a great art-crime thriller. Renee Russo doesn't do much for me but Pierce Brosnan is another story...

Book club read Eric Clapton's recently released autobiography (link on the right) which will be discussed tonight. Honestly, it's a miracle the man is still alive. It's an interesting story but it kind of wore me out. In stark contrast to that, I perused Custom Knits the other night (still trying to decide what to do with that Cascade 220) and I started La Otra Mano de Lepanto (link on the right). Next month's book club selection is A Prayer for Owen Meany which I have read before; I liked it very much but I will not re-read it at the moment.

And last night was the September meeting of Minnesota Knitters' Guild, which is the mother of all meetings being that everyone brings in their State Fair submissions, shows them off and discusses the comments from the judges. What a lot of talented people we have! I'm always inspired and think I'll try something other than socks ... we'll see if anything materializes. Unfortunately my friend and I were sitting in front of a pair who WOULD NOT STOP TALKING THE ENTIRE MEETING. Sheeesh, how rude!

So that's it for now. I won't discuss the imminent demise of the economy or anything like that...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If the economy tanks, it's a good thing I have a huge stash of stuff ... is this a new knitting book for you? ... I think there were several things in the Bliss mag that would be just you!!!
the fish person