Sunday, October 19, 2008

Stillwater

A girlfriend and I went to Stillwater yesterday. It's a lovely little town on the St. Croix River with an antiquated lift bridge, which you can see behind us here:
The bridge wasn't "lifted" when we were there - I'm sure the folks in town are thankful when it stays down since there is an unbelievable amount of traffic for such a little place. The bridge got stuck in the up position not so long ago, which is not good either. We kind of have a lot of bridge issues around here.

My friend is always trying to measure up - I'm sorry S, but you'll never reach 5 feet in this lifetime:
(You know we love you anyway)

There are a lot of antique stores in Stillwater and a few kitchy things too. I honestly can't believe this fabric was ever produced - and that someone bought it and made it into a bag: Maybe for a lunch bag?

There are other things that are very cool including old-style record players:

But still, there's a lot of kitch:
I rather like this person's sense of humor:

And this building has always been one of my favorites; I'm not sure why. Kind of reminds me of a cross between the barn and silos at the farm we visited when I was a kid:

And the old Freight House is THE place to eat in town. The food is delicious:



And the decor can't be beat:

Not to be stuck in the past, they have electronic advertising in the bathroom:

I thought it was going to be a leafier trip, but the antique stores were just too much fun. Here're some leaves anyway:

I would have taken more pictures, but alas, my camera batteries died.

Guess we'll have to go back...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stillwater is great fun. Savories deli was always my favorite place to eat; don't know if it is still there. Must try The Freight House next time.

Suzique said...

What a great day. I just have to practice my stretches. I'm sure that will make me taller.