Sunday, October 19, 2008


A girlfriend and I went to Stillwater yesterday. It's a lovely little town on the St. Croix River with an antiquated lift bridge, which you can see behind us here:
The bridge wasn't "lifted" when we were there - I'm sure the folks in town are thankful when it stays down since there is an unbelievable amount of traffic for such a little place. The bridge got stuck in the up position not so long ago, which is not good either. We kind of have a lot of bridge issues around here.

My friend is always trying to measure up - I'm sorry S, but you'll never reach 5 feet in this lifetime:
(You know we love you anyway)

There are a lot of antique stores in Stillwater and a few kitchy things too. I honestly can't believe this fabric was ever produced - and that someone bought it and made it into a bag: Maybe for a lunch bag?

There are other things that are very cool including old-style record players:

But still, there's a lot of kitch:
I rather like this person's sense of humor:

And this building has always been one of my favorites; I'm not sure why. Kind of reminds me of a cross between the barn and silos at the farm we visited when I was a kid:

And the old Freight House is THE place to eat in town. The food is delicious:

And the decor can't be beat:

Not to be stuck in the past, they have electronic advertising in the bathroom:

I thought it was going to be a leafier trip, but the antique stores were just too much fun. Here're some leaves anyway:

I would have taken more pictures, but alas, my camera batteries died.

Guess we'll have to go back...


kmkat said...

Stillwater is great fun. Savories deli was always my favorite place to eat; don't know if it is still there. Must try The Freight House next time.

Susan said...

What a great day. I just have to practice my stretches. I'm sure that will make me taller.