Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The 5 ho-rack

You know how you hear things wrong and then even after you learn what was really said you can never get beyond that original misinterpretation? It often happens with children because of their limited vocabulary and I suppose older people when their hearing starts to wear out ....

I have a visual one of those, not from childhood but from a few years ago when I started working at the U and taking the bus. I saw this thing and I couldn't help wondering what in the world they meant by it, envisioning some weird instrument of torture from the Spanish Inquisition on which they could interrogate five (professional) women simultaneously:

Of course, what it really is, is a Show Rack with a weird font used on the initial S. Proof that good graphic design is worth a lot.They're made this way so that seeing the headlines will pique your curiosity and you'll buy the paper. I'm sure the tactic doesn't work anymore; I for one just go online and look at the article if I'm interested.

And that little plaque on the back of the rack with the weird S never ceases to confuse me.

2 comments:

Suzique said...

That sort of marketing drives me crazy!!! sometimes it's hard to know if the confusion is intentional. I'm often tempted to write to the company (especially if they have a Web site) but sometimes I fear that that would only encourage them....

Anonymous said...

"Good graphic design is worth a lot." I must pass that on to #2 son, the graphic designer wannabe.