Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The End of Christmas (kind of)

I found this on my camera today - forgot I had taken it. I'm sure I've never seen the airport this empty; it's from the Sunday morning we went to pick up Girl-child (when she came home from Chile): Christmas was weird for us this year, as I'm sure I've mentioned. It's the end of January and I still haven't finished going through my cards. I didn't send any out this year. I really don't feel like it any more, but there are a few I'll have to write before the snow melts ...

I did just finish celebrating by exchanging gifts last weekend with a dear friend. Knowing that I'm a map nut, she found a cool mini-globe with Vaugondy's 18th century vision of our planet; he was mapmaker to Louis XIV. It's fun to think that this is the way Louis and company saw the world.

The bamboo cups were also a gift - the globe on one and some of my smaller, harder-to-keep-track-of needles in the other: I have to figure out how to display the globe with this leather map we have in the dining room - something we picked up in Spain on our "honeymoon" waaay back when:And also - can you believe there's more? - this super-cool dish from Northern Clay Center that goes perfectly in my house:
We put it on the comma table:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, did you get cool stuff for the holidays ... love the pottery and especially love the globe!
I also just received a holiday card in the mail yesterday ... so you are not alone in your choice of seasonal well wishing
the fish

Rose the Gypsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rose the Gypsy said...

Check Out this Africa Map/database from Harvard. Very Complex.

http://cga-3.hmdc.harvard.edu/africamap/