Monday, January 5, 2009

A Sad Tale from 32,000 Feet

I'd been cruising along on the knitting during my vacation ... I finished a pair of socks which are to be a late Christmas gift and the glittens were in need of the mitteny hoods only - easy peasy for bus/airport/inflight work ...

Never become smug or complacent. Disaster is bound to strike.

So there I was working on the final bits of the second glitten at 32,000 feet, oh so happy that I was going to have a second FO from my trip when suddenly, a needle broke.

No problem, right? I can finish with four needles ... Boy-child was asleep next to me and the movie was bad so the glittens would prevail!

Then another needle broke. Really. Granted, I was using cheap plastic needles, but who knew? Was I especially tense due to travel? Taking out the frustrations of my vacation being over on the needles? Are the cheap plasic variety weakened by a pressurized cabin?

So this is how far I got: How sad was that? Luckily, I had tucked away a skein of chunky Lamb's Pride in my carry-on just in case I had time to make a hat for Boy-child, which I did: And I did have the finished socks, even though they were going to live with someone else. I thought the wool socks looked particularly nice pool-side:
Needless to say, the first stop I made when I left the house yesterday to grocery shop was The Yarnery for a replacement set of needles - bamboo this time.

The mail gets delivered today and I imagine it will take me all week to get through it, but I hope to finish the glittens anyway. After all, I'll need a break from the mail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Bummer about the broken dpn, but like all good knitters you travel prepared :-)