Thursday, January 15, 2009

Some Book and Movie Musings

Here's the title of the week: FUNCTIONING OF MICROPHYTOBENTHOS IN ESTUARIES

My library doesn't have it, so I guess we'll have to order it.

And the book I checked out of the library today: Knitting Art: 150 innovative works from 18 contemporary artists. If you haven't had a chance to look at it, go find yourself a copy. It's amazing. Kind of reminds me of the art project Girl-child did in high school of a knitted bowl made of twisty-ties, but on a Walker Art Center level. I know that they have this book at LYS and Borders in the Twin Cities, as well as many libraries, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I'm still reading Midnight's Children for book club. I doubt I'll be done in time for the discussion, but in my group that's not important. I do like it a lot; can't really figure out why I never read it before, given that I've read many of his books.

Did I mention I watched The Duchess the other night? I read that book some years ago; don't remember the book quite that way, but I guess the movie makers wanted to focus on the more tragic aspects of her life (loveless marriage, self-sacrifice for her children, the usual stuff). Boy-child makes fun of me 'cause I like period pieces ... what can I say? I like historical fiction too (sorry Susan). I also watched, at Boy's suggestion, Dogma by Kevin Smith. I'm not real big on Kevin Smith movies, but this one was fun. I'm sure the fact that it makes fun of religion has nothing to do with the fact that I liked it ;-)

Not sure what I'll do tonight - I've started on the second season of West Wing again so I can get some knitting done but maybe I can dig up a nineteenth century story about some visionary woman ...

2 comments:

Suzique said...

Order it? I can't even pronounce it. Instead I'm mulling over Yiddish dictionaries. long story there. good to see you today, however briefly. Happy Knitting!

Anonymous said...

I just requested the knitting book from Madison, thanks for the tip! I loved Dogma; my boys have made sure I saw every single one of Kevin Smith's movies. I tried to read one of Rushdie's books, don't remember which one, but didn't get far. Must try again.