Friday, April 3, 2009

Title of the Week

I know I should be doing other things, but I am easily distracted, and not only by bright and shiny things.

Take this title, for example. Not bright or shiny:

A contribution to the study of the insect fauna of human excrement

In all fairness to the author, because we wouldn't want to think that his life was spent examining the flies hovering over piles of *** for nothing, the subtitle makes it a little more obvious to those of us not in the hard sciences that his work is very important to us all:

with especial reference to the spread of typhoid fever by flies

And so, L.O.Howard, we thank you for your contribution to public health.

(btw, did you know that feces is a Library of Congress subject heading?)

3 comments:

Suzique said...

NO *#&$! Wow, I didn't know that.

Can you imagine the uproar about pork barrel spending this research could have caused?

Anonymous said...

Ha! I went to my library website to see what was under the "feces" subject heading.

http://www.more.lib.wi.us/search/d?search=feces&

What cracked me up is the subheading,"Feces -- Juvenile literature." Well, of course, there would be juvenile literature about poop. What is surprising is that there are only 2 entries...

Anonymous said...

ok..kmkat's entry made me wonder what we had in HCL and I found 1 juvenile fiction-in Spanish-"Who flung the dung?" is the title in English and under juv.lit - Poop : a natural history of the unmentionable with a book cover that is a giggle and oddly enough a summary that sounds interesting ...I know what fish poop is good for