Friday, June 25, 2010

New and Old



Thanks to Alli for introducing me to the Flaming Lips. Yes, I know I should have been up on this old band (old to Alli, anyway) but I wasn't. I think I know a few of the songs they've done, but I've never been cognizant of the band itself. I love the album titles found in the discography section of the Wikipedia article on them. I guess I'll add them to my Pandora radio station and see if I want to make any purchases...

And since I'm musing on conversations with youngsters, Sarah was quite surprised to hear I had been in Northern Ireland during the 1970s. As I tell her more stories about things I've done she becomes more amazed that I am still alive to tell the tales. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I haven't told her practically any of the outrageous stuff.

Girl-child called last night. She got a tattoo. She's been talking about it for ages, so I knew it was coming, but it still seems kind of odd. It'll probably take some time for me to get used to it. (I haven't actually seen it yet; I may or may not take a photo).

I am chugging along on the cardigan I've got on the needles, but it's slow going. I also started another shawl for bus knitting; it's off to a promising start. The shawl is part of my continued effort to diversify from (obsessive) sock knitting. Perhaps I will have a moment to take a few photos this weekend. Perhaps not.

I had a good talk with an old friend the other day. It's funny how helpful that is (Thank you again, Susan). I plan to see another old friend next Monday for dinner; I haven't seen her for quite a while and I suspect she has some big piece of news to spring on me. I hope it's good.

And speaking of Susans, a cousin of mine from Baltimore is in town and I'm going to see her tomorrow evening. Should be interesting. I haven't seen her that many times but we're only five years apart and we've both been through some big mid-life stuff over the past few years. She's having lunch with my mother today so I hope she's recovered enough from that by tomorrow night that we can talk about other things too.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

#1 Son is a big fan of the Flaming Lips. Last Christmas I gave him several of their albums and a DVD, the latter of which I watched with him. I am not, nor will I ever be, a FL fan :)

samanthix said...

We played "Do You Realize?" at our wedding. The lyrics can make you cry; insightful and beautiful.