Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Musings

While I try not to dwell on how behind I am, and try to stay positive, a few things come to mind that help me keep my sense of humor and perspective (or so I would like to believe).

1) Years ago, when Boy-child was a baby, I was taking a Early Childhood Family Education class. I started taking the classes when I was on maternity leave, and continued even after I went back to work, because the conversation and connection with other moms helped me muddle through it all. The thing is, because I was working full time, but had funny days off, I was in a class with a bunch of stay at home moms. One morning we were going around the room taking turns sharing what non-kid related projects we were working on. I was amazed - they were working on everything from writing books to re-upholstering sofas. When I told them I was trying to clean my basement, they all laughed; they thought I was joking, but I was serious. (I still am).

2) I just heard from someone I went to library school with and then briefly worked with while I was on my internship. She was the envy of the neighborhood back in the day, as her internship turned into a full time job with a living wage and benefits. I heard from her recently because she is networking - trying to find a job. Not sure what the issue is, but it's a concrete reminder that nowhere is perfect. (Actually, I never did think that place was perfect, but nonetheless, her situation looked envious at the time).

3) This morning I am working from my living room. The sun is pouring in, making beautiful windowpanes of light on the hardwood floor. I can goof off a little updating my blog as I am not being interrupted by people asking for a stapler, whining about their finals or sharing too much information with me about their personal lives. It's not that I don't expect a certain amount of that at work, it's just that being able to avoid it part of the time is a really nice benefit. I like being around people, but maybe not all of the time.

4) The only Oscar-nominated movie I saw this year on the big screen was The Artist. Score. My favorite dresses were Penelope Cruz, Viola Davis and Natalie Portman.

No comments: